- how we value ourselves and others.
- how with every action 'we're continuing the ongoing creation of the world.'
- 'freedom isn't being able to have whatever we crave. Freedom is going without whatever we crave and being fine with it.'
- how stealing is the ultimate selfish act and giving stuff away is the ultimate act of generosity.
- 'Love is handing your heart to someone and taking the risk that they will hand it back because they don't want it.'
- 'Jesus always chooses the path of love, not power.'
Rob Bell talks about this:
'It's possible for destructive messages to be sent to people who are single. That they are second class, less than, that they don't fit, that they should find someone, get married, and join the rest of us who are "normal."I meet people and their life revolves around finding a man/woman. They feel incomplete and believe their life will only really begin when they meet someone and get married. The sad thing is that God has a plan for their life NOW and they are completely missing out on it. I'm not saying relationships are wrong, on the contrary i think relationships are good, but being single is good too. I can't accept the view that one status is better than the other, they are just different. What do you think???
If you are single, and you've been sent messages or it's been hinted at or even said to your face that you are somehow missing something, that you aren't good enough, that you don't fit in - that is not true. It's not just that you're fine single. The premise of the Scriptures is that you are able to connect with God and serve God in ways that those who are married can't. The tilt is for being single, not away from it.'
By the way, Rob Bell is speaking at Spires Conference Centre in Belfast on 12th June as part of his 'Calling all Peacemakers' tour. Click here for further info. Note that tickets can be purchased from Wesley Owen bookstore without having to pay the online £2 booking fee.