Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Walking on the twelfth...

Hello there anyone who may read this - is there anyone out there?! So today is the apparent highlight of the Protestant social calendar in this wee country of Norn Iron! So i got up early this morning and got myself ready for a good days walking...up the Mournes that is! I think some people outside of this country really think the 12th is just a days rioting but it really isn't. In fact i drove to the Mournes and back today and managed to avoid all evidence of cultural celebrations apart from a couple of very small early morning parades.

Had a great day up the mountains though. I went with Niall and Jamie (pictured left). The weather was very overcast (no good scenic views pics this time!) and we got soaked in the mist up the mountain but it was still a good days craic. We ended up back at Niall's for a bit of a Settlers marathon - 4 games of which i won zero - raging!!! Also had a bit of a chinese takeaway thrown in there too which was all good!

Last night i joined the bonfire celebrations in Waringstown. I grew up in this village and i don't think i ever went to the bonfire here before! I had a good night just hanging out with the young people i have met round the village and i managed to meet a few new ones too.

This week is definitely all about taking it easy for me! I'm still recovering from 9 days in a tent - I'm starting to feel not as young as i used to!

5 comments:

Debs Erwin said...

Sounds like a perfect way to spend the 12th! Would've done the same if I'd know the traffic would be so clear...hopefully I'll get into the hills this weekend.

Anonymous said...

loving it neil - good day out with good company - keep practising the settlers mate ;)

Perspective Coaching said...

good to see you hitting the hills - i would love to get out with you some day before the summer is over, let me know when might be a good time - eagie

ps finished velvet elvis what a great read

Perspective Coaching said...

good to see you hitting the hills - i would love to get out with you some day before the summer is over, let me know when might be a good time - eagie

ps finished velvet elvis what a great read

Anonymous said...

THE BEARD HAS TO GO MATE - SORT IT :D